Pages

1/13/2012

Paper Crafts Magazine Presents: Cool Tools Blog Hop

Hello and welcome to the Cool Tools Blog Hop! It has been Cool Tools Week on Paper Crafts Connection and Moxie Fab World and today is the final day with a big blog hop for you! And there are HUGE prizes involved. But first, a look at the yummy new special issue:






Those projects on the cover look amazing, don't they? I just can't wait to get my copy of this issue! If you want to get a copy, it's available here.


So, today's mission is to inspire you with the creative use of punches. I have decided to use the technique of creating a sponged background using a border punch like I did on a card that is published in the Cool Tools magazine again. And because it is so much fun to play, I created a second card using a scalloped circle punch to make a pretty flower. Ha, two cards. AND a video. Yes, I thought it would be nice to show you how I created the background in a video. A lot to show, so I'll better get started! First, the card using a scalloped circle punch:





To create this flower, I punched about 9 scalloped circles from patterned paper, assembled them with a brad and started spritzing the center with water. Then I crumpled the center circle to the middle, spritzed again with water and crumpled the second layer to the middle and so on. Then I used a heat embossing tool to dry the flower and carefully un-crumpled it.


Here comes the second card:







Valentine's Day is coming closer :) Here I used this background sponging technique. Now, the video to show you how I did it:






Sorry, sometimes it is a bit wonky. And sometimes I don't find the right words. But I hope you'll like it nevertheless.


Now to the fun part of the blog hop! The prizes! First, leave a comment on my blog to be eligible to win a copy of this amazing new special issue. All comments must be posted by midnight (MDT) on Sunday, January 15th. Then, hop on to the other designers' blogs to see their wonderful creations:




And finally, be sure to stop by the Paper Crafts Connection blog and leave a comment there! The prize package is HUGE! Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Good luck!

Thanks so much for visiting and have a beautiful day!

Vanessa

Note: Comment moderation is on. This is a scheduled post and I will control the comments when returning from work, so don't worry that your comment is not showing up :)

219 comments:

  1. LOVE them BOTH...amazing work with the 2nd card...such a fab technique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such such beautiful cards and both are so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sponged background is simply stunning! What a genius idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the big flower , what an impact it leaves one with...brilliant !

    ReplyDelete
  5. both your cards look so beautiful i love the scallop flower on the first one and the fab sponging technique in the second thanks for the inspiration and the video

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please...no apologies on the video! I greatly appreciate seeing how you created the beautiful cards!! Love the scalloped flower idea as well. Thanks for sharing your talent and creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. well done...love the kraft with the red and white...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the fabulous inspiration! Both your cards are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great video technique, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The scalloped circles make a great flower and really like how you've done the background on the second card! Thanks for the video!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Vanessa, amazing cards. Love how you offset the scallops to create the background. Great video too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wunderschöne Karten! Mir gefält der Kontrast zwischen rot und beige...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing cards, Vanessa! I love that flower. I've tried making them before, but they never turn out that nice. I'll have to try your way of making them (spritz with water after putting them together with the brad).
    Thanks for sharing your background technique!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful cards! and thanks for showing a video on the technique used on your 2nd card.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful card! And thanks for the fantastic video tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the flower on your card it is such a beautiful focal point.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That crumpled flower is brilliant and the sponged background is stunning! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful, beautiful card! I'm gonna have to try to make a flower that way!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your scalloped flower is adorable! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A very clever way to sponge onto a card to create a beautiful background. I've done sponging before but never thought to use a punch as a stencil. Thanks for sharing your ideas and your video was good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cool flower! And easy to do too! Thank you so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love when simple punches can be used to make beautiful things like your flower....thanks for the chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous, Vanessa! Thanks for the informative how-to video!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a clever idea! I love using punches on my cards and this is a great new technique for me to try. Thanks for the inspiration and for the video too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Absolutely GORGEOUS work! LOVE the sponging technique!!!

    housesbuiltofcards@gmail.com
    www.housesbuiltofcards.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. thanks for the great ideas~

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome technique, thanks for sharing!!! I'll have to try this today.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely cards! Great sponging technique! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful cards! Thanks for sharing the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  30. beautiful cards...thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like all the dimension you got on your sponged background. The scalloped flower turned out perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Vanessa. Meet again.. Love your cards, especially the last one.. Beautiful color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  33. These are just beautiful! LOVE that big old flower on the first one and all the chipboard accents and stitching, and the background on the second looks A-Mazing! So much depth. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh I love your card! how the flower pops up! great work!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Amazing cards, Vanessa! That flower is such a great idea and the second Valentine's card is gorgeous! Two techniques I will definitely have to try. Fun blog-hopping with you! ~Stephanie Halinski (P.S. If you pick my comment, be sure to pick someone else to win the issue! :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful! I love the techniques of both. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love the 3D flower! That would also be great instead of bows on presents!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow! I can't believe how cool this effect is! I have never seen a flower like this before! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for the video and wonderful projects! Always looking for more ideas to use my tools!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow!! They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love your cards and techniques, Vanessa! Your cards are always so fresh and fabulous! I especially love your flower made from scallop circles! I will definitely have to give that one a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Very nice technique, love the flower you made!

    ReplyDelete
  43. never thought of using a punch as a template to sponge with! great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Love your cards. I have made so many of the flowers you used. I have never put them on a card , untill now. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Clever technique. Glad I watched the video!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I think this flower is the prettiest I've seen in a long time! Thanks for the tutorial on how you did it!! I love the video..wonky parts & all!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love this idea of using border punches for backgrounds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Great job! And I love that you use a makeup sponge! I've been waiting forever to order my CTMH sponges and am glad to know that these will work as well when I'm in a pinch :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thank you for the great tutorial! I never thought of using my border punches this way. And I love your cards...so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  50. that flower is amazing!! i think I can make one too :) Thanks for putting in the extra time for a video tut. too.

    ReplyDelete
  51. The scalloped circles make a great flower and your card is lovely. I liked the sponged background as well. That offers lots of possibilities too!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Beautiful cards, your video was very informative, great technique. Thank you
    janiceaeschliman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  53. Beautiful cards Vanessa! Love all the layers on your flower!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Great techniques, and thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  55. What awesome ideas. I've never thought of using a punch to create patterned paper. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  56. Love both cards! can't wait to try using a punched border as a mask for inking.

    ReplyDelete
  57. The flower you made is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Wow, Vanessa, these are amazing cards! Thanks for taking the time to do the video, too...great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  59. wowwww vanessa what beautiful cards! and it means so much that you would take the time and explain how you did! thank you! marie

    ReplyDelete
  60. What a great idea. I love that I can use all my border punches for other things. I need to "think outside the box" more often!!

    ReplyDelete
  61. What a fun sponge technique! Good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Love both cards, how pretty they are! And I thought you're video was great!

    ReplyDelete
  63. Your cards are both so pretty. I can't wait to try that gorgeous flower from the first and the pretty design from the second. Great tutorial.
    Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  64. Great cards! Thanks for the ideas & inspiration! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  65. Love both your cards....

    ReplyDelete
  66. Love the cards so pretty. I love the flowers.
    keaunalynn@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  67. Great cards and thanks so much for the video showing us how to do the technique. It is always appreciated!!

    Ashlee
    ashlee@musemyworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  68. Love both of them, Vanessa! Thanks so much for the fab video and for the chance to win a copy of this great issue!

    ReplyDelete
  69. Just beautiful, thanks for the stamping tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Brilliant idea - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  71. Vanessa, both cards are gorgeous! Love the flower tutorial and the video. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  72. Awesome tutorial!!! Love them both projects!!!

    ReplyDelete
  73. Great cards! The second one is especially beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  74. Love the big flower ans the sponge background!

    ReplyDelete
  75. Such fabulous cards! TFS =)

    ReplyDelete
  76. Thanks so much for your video tutorial and for sharing this beautiful technique. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  77. Beautiful cards and a great video. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  78. Wow, such amazing works of art. I love what you created.

    ReplyDelete
  79. Love how you did the backgrounds...such beautiful cards!
    Thanks for the chance to win!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  80. Great card ideas! I love how you used the ink and mask. Thanks for the chance to win a copy of Cool Tools!

    hattieshaven.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  81. These are beautiful! I love that sponged background, how clever!

    ReplyDelete
  82. Very nice. I love the shading. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  83. very very cool...love the flower.

    ReplyDelete
  84. Love the color combination on the second card and the way the flower turned out on the first!

    ReplyDelete
  85. Spritzing with water!! That is the step that always eludes me when I go to make my own paper flowers. Yours is SO lovely! Thanks for sharing the video!

    ReplyDelete
  86. Thank you for such a good tip! I'm learning so much from this blog hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  87. That background is phenomenal!!! Beautiful cards!

    ReplyDelete
  88. Great flower and love the background on the second card.
    Blessings,
    Peggy Allen

    ReplyDelete
  89. Beautiful flower on the first card and thanks for the video showing how to make the backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  90. I may have to try making that flower! Such great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  91. This is a great new idea for me. Can't wait to play with it

    ReplyDelete
  92. What a cool effect you achieved by sponging the border punches!

    ReplyDelete
  93. Great vintage style cards. Love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  94. Wow! Both projects are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  95. LOVE the flower!!!! It is wonderful!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  96. I love your crumbled flower, this is definitely an idea I want to try, your card is beautiful, I love all of the detail! And the background on the second card is pretty cool as well, I would like to try this also. Great cards!! Thanks for sharing.

    Katie B.

    ReplyDelete
  97. I have to try both these ideas. I love the flower and the background sponging is beautiful. It looks like there is depth there. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  98. These are so soft and pretty - very elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  99. Beautiful cards and lovely video Vanessa. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  100. Wow! These cards are amazing! Also, thank you so much for the tutorial! I'm going to try this technique out for sure!
    cdring at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  101. I like the lacy look.

    Noreen
    http://www.craftlinky.com/

    ReplyDelete
  102. Great project!

    goodjessie at hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  103. WOW! Both of these are SO beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  104. Amazing flower! I'll have to try your technique! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  105. I love the second card! Awesome background!

    ReplyDelete
  106. Loved both cards.....your colors are simply gorgeous and soft.

    ReplyDelete
  107. Beautiful cards, so detailed!

    ReplyDelete
  108. This is an amazing technique and your video is wonderful, thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  109. WOW to both! Thanks for sharing the video and both cards are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  110. OHHHH! Great cards--that flower is super LUSH! And I LOVE your video!!!! You are amazing:)

    ReplyDelete
  111. Love your ideas! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  112. Awesome projects, and thanks so much for the video.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  113. I will definitely have to try this....It looks absolutely lovely. Thank you for a wonderfully done video.

    ReplyDelete
  114. I really like the textures on both of the cards. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  115. Ooooo...I always love a good flower on a card, so of course, I love your first card. But your 2nd card blows me away!! I LOOOVE the masking with the punched paper!! SUCH a great idea!! Thank you for the video as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  116. That flower is awesome! Thanks for the chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
  117. WOW! I love these cards! The flower is so incredible and the border punched background is amazing! Thanks for the inspiration. :D

    ReplyDelete
  118. Oh those cards are beautiful!! What a neat idea on how to make that gorgeous flower!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  119. Wow, I love the flower made with circles!!! That is stunning and thank you so much for the great video, I love when I can learn new techniques!
    Lisa
    lisascreativeniche at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  120. These are both amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  121. Wow, that flower is something else!

    ReplyDelete
  122. Thanks for the video showing exactly how you do your background -- very helpful! Beautiful cards today.

    ReplyDelete
  123. What an interesting technique. Love how the first card is so 3D. Thanks also for the chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
  124. You are very talented! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  125. I love learning another use for the fabulous border punches.

    ReplyDelete
  126. Love the flower, so full and pretty. Great video too. Will have to try that masking technique. Thanks for a chance to win.

    ReplyDelete
  127. Thank you for a new technique that I will HAVE to try - using punches to make a mask for card backgrounds! So PRETTY!

    ReplyDelete
  128. Love the punch masking technique!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  129. Love your cards! The scallop punch flower is so pretty and the sponged background is genius. Thanks for the video sharing haow to create the backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  130. Fabulous! I love them both!

    Kris in Alaska
    funamom at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  131. Unbelievable - the flower is absolutely gorgeous. Both cards are works of art! Thank you so much for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  132. I love this technique, Vanessa!
    Thanks for the inspiration and
    video.

    ReplyDelete
  133. love your scrunched flower. wouldn't have thought of making it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  134. Wow great projects, I especially like the big flower! Really appreciate the video on making designer paper

    ReplyDelete
  135. That flower is amazing! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  136. Fantastic! I love the awesome texture in your cards!

    ReplyDelete
  137. Fantastic idea of a great way to use a punch!

    ReplyDelete
  138. Fabulous cards! Love the dimensional rose and the besutiful lacey background of the second card.

    ReplyDelete
  139. This blog is awesome. I am learning so much about punches and the different things to use them for. Thanks for the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  140. Great cards. Love the sponged background!

    ReplyDelete
  141. THANKS for sharing your FABULOUS CREATIONS!! I also LOVED the video!! THANKS for the INSPIRATION and have a FABULOUS WEEKEND!!

    ReplyDelete
  142. great video. I would love to win this issue!!!
    Kisha

    ReplyDelete
  143. I love what you did with both cards! the flower tutorial is great, and I love the sponged border look!

    ReplyDelete
  144. That background is so beautiful and elegant! Loved your video and can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  145. great background! thank you for the video!

    ReplyDelete
  146. Your flower is BIG & BOLD! Love it! The 2nd card is really nice too. I like that bakers twine, the flower punch & stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  147. Beautiful cards, using the border to sponge the background created a great effect :)

    ReplyDelete
  148. VERY COOL technique, tfs the video!

    ReplyDelete
  149. That scalloped punch flower is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  150. beautiful projects. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  151. Thanks for sharing this background sponging technique using border punch! I bookmarked your page for future references!

    ReplyDelete
  152. Great background video. I may give it a try. Thanks for a chance to win. Ann O.

    ReplyDelete
  153. wonderful cards ! and thanks for the video :-)

    ReplyDelete
  154. Love both of your cards! The flower is beautiful...I'll definitely be trying that for a special V Day card. I also love the background you created on the other card...so creative! Thanks for the GREAT ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  155. Both cards are just stunning! Wow! And you're right! Perfect for valentines day!

    ReplyDelete
  156. This a very good background technique. Loved your video. I am definitely going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  157. Great card! I love the large flower you created.

    ReplyDelete
  158. Absolutely LOVE the scalloped circle turned into a flower. Now I feel that is something that I could actually do:) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  159. Great flower making technique!

    ReplyDelete
  160. WOW, I love the background. I didn't notice it at first...

    ReplyDelete
  161. I really like the flowers and the background. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  162. Love both cards and especially to first one with the flower. Flowers are my favorite embellishment and always enjoy seeing how others use them. Thanks for sharing.

    Linda D.

    ReplyDelete
  163. Absolutely wonderful!! Thanks for the tutorial! LOVE that background! Thanks for the chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
  164. WOW! These cards are just stunning, Vanessa! You are so creative and talented. Thank you for the wonderful, inspiring video too! Such a cool technique! You have such a lovely sweet voice too!

    ReplyDelete
  165. WOW! I really love the background sponging technique! The flower is really pretty, too.... but the sponging is really cool! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  166. This is beyond creative! Really nice work :)

    ReplyDelete
  167. Oh wow, these are stunning! Thanks for the video too!

    ReplyDelete
  168. Gorgeous cards and thanks for the wonderful video.

    ReplyDelete
  169. I absolutely LOVE the All About Me mini album. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  170. love your ruffly flower. the colors are great too.

    ReplyDelete
  171. Very creative cards! I'd like to win a copy of Cool Tools.

    ReplyDelete
  172. Thanks for sharing your technique!

    ReplyDelete
  173. Gorgeous! TFS! thanks for a chance to win! And, have a GREAT day!
    kmassmanATgmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  174. Great cards! I love the ideas for using punches on this hop!
    DeniseB

    ReplyDelete
  175. Wow!! Amazing projects! TFS the video. I can't wait to try it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  176. gorgeous! love both of your cards!!

    ReplyDelete
  177. I just love your masking idea! I really want to try this one. TFS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  178. Lovely cards, I make similar scalloped flowers on my cards, they are so much fun. I like how your flower has a white underside to the layers.

    ReplyDelete
  179. Amazing cards. Thanks for the instructions and inspiration.

    Vicki
    vwilson577 at yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  180. What a great idea to use a border punch for a stencil

    ReplyDelete
  181. The flower is beautiful, and tks for the time to take the video, it's GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  182. Wow! That flower is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  183. Such beautiful cards Vanessa! Absolutely love that flower - stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  184. You have been busy...WOW. Thanks for encouraging me to put my own thinking cap on!

    ReplyDelete
  185. wow...what a neat technique. good job

    ReplyDelete
  186. That's an awesome flower! I love it! How many fun techniques you have used, so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  187. Love both your cards. Especially love the scallop flower. Thanks for the chance to win.

    ReplyDelete
  188. Tolle Hintergrund-Technik - und ich mag dein Video - dein English ist super!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate each comment very much :)